I love kale and I love summer… therefore this might be my perfect salad.
The temps aren’t too high here just yet but with all of the crazy rain we’ve been having, the humidity makes it sweltering to say the least. This salad is as refreshing as it gets – cool, crisp watermelon, fennel, and cucumber are mixed with creamy avocado and feta cheese. It’s pretty much everything I love tossed into a bowl.
This is a greener version of this spicy watermelon salad that I love. The kale idea came from a salad that I regularly get at Snap Kitchen, a healthy take-away place in Austin. (If you’re in Austin, go check it out… you’ll probably see me grabbing lunch there).
If you want to make this salad in advance, keep the avocado separate until you’re ready to serve it. If you’re going to store it longer than a few hours, I might keep the watermelon separate too so that it doesn’t get too watery at the bottom of the bowl.
Watermelon & Avocado Kale Salad
- one small bunch of curly kale
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ avocado, pitted and cubed
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the coarse stems of the kale and tear the curly leaves into small pieces. Place them in a large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and white wine vinegar. Use your hands to massage the kale leaves until they’re soft and tender. They should shrink down to about half the amount that you started with.
- Add the sliced fennel, cucumber, radishes, scallions, avocado, feta and toss. Add the watermelon and toss again. Taste, and add more salt, pepper, lemon and/or olive oil as you like.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.