There are some food trends that I wish would end (sorry, oatmeal). There are others that I hope never end – like avocado toast. In my opinion, this one’s not going anywhere simply because avocados are awesome. And I’m totally fine with that.
A few months ago, I posted a fall/winter version of my favorite smushed green snack and now here’s my spring take on the classic (I think we can call agree that it can be called that by now, right?)
I love the sweet/salty/creamy combination of avocado, coarse sea salt and strawberries. These are a delightful little appetizer bites (or, for me, lunch), that take 2 minutes to put together. Don’t forget the fresh basil!
Strawberry Basil Smashed Avocado Toast
- sliced strawberries
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- toasted bread (pictured: Udi’s Gluten Free Millet Chia)
- ripe avocado
- fresh basil
- hemp seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl and toss with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast the bread. Slice your avocado in half and then into cubes and add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt right into the avocado. Scoop it out and use the back of a fork to smash it on toast.
- Top toasts with basil, strawberries, a sprinkle of hemp seeds and freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt to taste (only if necessary).
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.