Lately I’ve been reading all kinds of summer bucket lists that are floating around the internet. I enjoy them – they inspire me to get away from the computer and do fun things like hang out at pools with popsicles. (which I haven’t actually done, but the idea still lifts my spirit).
For me, summer + list-making don’t go hand-in-hand, so I’ll just make one goal and that is to eat ALL of the peaches. I freaking love peaches. Their season is happening here and now in Texas so I’m I making the most of it with things like peach salads, peach salsa, and peach pops, just to name a few…
The other day, with my Farmhouse bounty, I made crostini with the sweetest peaches and cherry tomatoes. The basil in my herb garden isn’t doing so well, so traditional pesto wasn’t going to be an option. Instead, I picked some pretty purple sage, oregano, chives (and a couple of sorta-bruised basil leaves) and pulsed them together with pine nuts. It’s almost pesto – I stopped short of adding the olive oil because I liked the taste of it as a chunkier spread.
Assemble the toasts with sliced peaches and cherry tomatoes and serve on a patio with Peach Sangria!
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ garlic clove
- ½ packed cup mixed herbs – sage, basil, oregano, chives, etc
- 1-2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- optional: add at least ¼ cup olive oil to make it a smoother pesto
- toasted sourdough bread
- sliced cherry tomatoes w/ salt and pepper
- sliced ripe peaches
- In a food processor, pulse together the pine nuts, garlic and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the herbs, lemon juice, lemon zest and pulse again. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon as desired. To make it smoother, add a drizzle of olive oil to the food processor while it’s running.
- Assemble the crostini with the spread and a few sliced peaches and tomatoes.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.