I know – avocado toast is SO over, and even if it weren’t, you don’t need a recipe for it. This trend might be on it’s way out, but you’ll still find me (and pretty much everyone else on Instagram) happily smashing & snapping away.
I usually keep mine simple – avocado, lemon, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of hemp seeds. It’s a perfect combo that doesn’t need to be messed with, but since this was “dinner toast” for us one night last week, I thought I’d get a little fancier with the toppings. (Also, Jack is still claiming that he doesn’t like avocado, but if I hide it a little, no complaints).
This chart of ingredients looks a little fussy, but most of these are pantry staples and items that I happened to have on hand. For example, the adobo sauce (our favorite addition here) comes from a leftover can of chipotles that I had previously opened for this chili recipe. So feel free to use and re-use whatever you like. Send me your winning combos and, together, let’s keep this trend alive!
Loaded Sweet Potato Avocado Toast
- 1 medium avocado
- about 4 slices whole grain bread
- squeeze of lemon
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup cubed sweet potatoes
- a few teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)*
- 1 tablespoon pepitas, toasted
- ½ serrano pepper, sliced
- Chop your sweet potatoes in to small cubes. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper, and roast them in the oven or on a cast iron skillet. Oven: 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Skillet: brown the edges in the skillet for about 10 minutes. If potatoes are not cooked through, add a little water, cover, and let steam until they’re fully cooked.
- Toast your bread. Use the back of a fork to smush avocado onto it. Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add toppings as pictured or however you like!
Make this gluten free by using your favorite gluten free bread.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.