Happy Saturday, friends! Fall is in the air, and although it’s not exactly crisp outside here, I’ve made crisp inside to make up for it.
Apple crisp is hands down my favorite fall dessert. I love apple pie too, but I love it more when other people make it for me. This crisp recipe is simple and straightforward – you can mix everything together and get these little guys into the oven in no time. (You can even mix the crumble part ahead of time).
To make these vegan, I used coconut oil instead of butter and scooped vegan ice cream on top. These can also be made gluten free if you use oat flour (see notes below). And if you don’t have mini copper cocottes (p.s. how cute are those?!) – no worries, you can bake them in small ramekins or an 8×8 baking dish.
- 3 medium apples, chopped, plus a few slices reserved to go on top
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup whole rolled oats*
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup flour (whole wheat, spelt or oat flour*)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, nutmeg, or ginger
- 3 tablespoons hardened coconut oil, plus more for brushing
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the oats, walnuts, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, spice (cardamom, nutmeg or ginger), coconut oil, and salt in a food processor and pulse until just combined. The mixture should be crumbly. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss the chopped apples with the apple cider vinegar.
- Brush a bit of coconut oil onto the bottom of 4 ramekins, and add the apples. Sprinkle with the crumble mixture. Top each with the remaining apple slices
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 15 minutes more, or until the apples are soft and the crumble is golden brown.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with scoops of (vegan) ice cream.
- This can also be made in a single baking dish, 8×8 or equivalent.
*If you are gluten free be sure to use certified gluten free oats and oat flour.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.