Three things I am obsessed with: chickpeas, avocado, and all things MINI… mini pizzas, mini tacos, mini pies, mini skillets. I had these cute little pretzel buns last week so that’s how this recipe started. (Although you could use any kind of bun or sliced bread for this recipe).
I first thought of making little veggie burgers, but since it’s a whopping 103 degrees(!) outside, I’ve been trying to use my oven as little as possible. Plus this chickpea salad is fast, easy, and cold, which is everything I want in a summer recipe. These would be perfect for a summer picnic except, well, it’s way too hot for that. For now, Jack and I will be “picnicking” at our kitchen table.
The base of this salad is made of chickpeas, avocado, tahini, hemp seeds and curry powder. These are all ingredients that I generally keep on hand so I love how I can whip these up for lunch at a moment’s notice.
For this recipe, I used muchi curry powder which is mellow and not too spicy. But feel free to use whatever kind of curry spices you like.
Curried Chickpea Salad Sliders
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup diced red onion (*see note)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves and finely chopped stems
- ¼ cup hemp seeds or chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon muchi or madras curry powder, more to taste
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- about 8 mini slider buns
- any fixings you like: onion, lettuce, tomato, herbs, etc
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, avocado, tahini, garlic, curry powder, lemon, and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher or a large fork until all ingredients are cohesive. Stir in the onion, cilantro, and hemp seeds (or walnuts).
- Season to taste. Chill until ready to use.
- Assemble sandwiches whatever fixings you like.
This recipe is vegan, the pretzel buns I used are not. To make these gluten free, scoop the salad into lettuce cups.
The chickpea salad will keep in the fridge for about a day. If you want to store it longer, I’d suggest keeping the avocado out and mashing it in at the last minute.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.