For years, Jack and I have been celebrating Valentine’s Day at home in lieu of long waits for dinners at fancy restaurants. Tackling a new kitchen project together – even if you mess it up – is always tons of fun. Here are 3 date night ideas… each with a Love & Lemons spin, of course!
#1: CREATE A SIGNATURE COCKTAIL
2. Think about some fun memories you’ve shared over drinks. It can be as extravagant as the Caipirinhas you sipped on your honeymoon in Rio or as simple as the margaritas you love at your favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant. If freestyle mixing sounds scary, you can get a book or check out some recipes online to use as a guide.
3. Gather ingredients for your cocktail that you also like in your food. For me, that means a lot of fresh citrus and herbs. Lemons, limes, grapefruit, blood oranges, basil, mint, rosemary, lavender, lemongrass, and ginger (or better yet, ginger juice) are all cocktail-worthy ingredients. Most drinks need a little sweetness, so either make a simple syrup (simmer 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, stir until dissolved) or get agave nectar (my preference). For lighter cocktails, have some sparkling water on hand (I like Topo Chico) for effervescence.
4. Stock a simple bar. You don’t need to buy the whole liquor store to get started, just choose a few liquors that you already know you like. I keep vodka, gin, tequila, and bourbon on-hand. Pick up some Angostura bitters (or fancy flavored bitters) to play with – a few drops will take your bourbon drinks to the next level.
2. Shake or stir your creations.
2. Make the pasta dough and let it chill in the fridge a few hours in advance.
– xoxo & Happy Valentine’s Day!
This post was created in partnership, and is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fortessa.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.